An independent project about the loss of balance in our planet that is threatening our future.
THE ONE EARTH PROJECT
Studies estimate that, from the beginning of time, 113 billion people have ever lived on Earth (source: Population Reference Bureau).
According to other publications, every single year more than 150 billion animals are slaughtered for food consumption (based on FAO data). More specifically, every year worldwide are killed or used for production:
- 73 billions and 174 millions poultry (meat production)
- 7 billions and 702 millions laying hens (egg production)
- 1 billion and 484 millions pigs
- 921 millions rabbits
- 809 millions animals for milk production (265 millions caws)
- 479 millions goats for meat production
- 302 millions cattle (meat)
(Source: FAO 2018)
- 93 millions and 633 thousands tons of fish is captured
- 80 millions tons of fish is farmed, 49,5 millions inland waters e 30,6 in sea waters
To have a final toll, we must consider also:
- Animals killed for non-food reasons (scientific research – 9 to 20 millions animals in UE in 2019; other industries – such as leather industry; medicines production; sport; cultural traditions)
- Animals killed by the damage or the destruction of their natural habitat related to human action (deforestation; climate change; biodiversity decline; impact of agriculture and pesticides; sea pollution – dead zones, coral bleaching, plastic pollution)
One Earth is a project to research, inquiry and explain the full scenario of animal over-exploitation: which are the causes and which are the effects for the fragile balance of our planet.
Iper-intensification in factory farming: the biggest and most innovative factory farms across the world, designed for applying technologies to the increased global demand for meat.
One Health approach: what happens to humankind when the balance gets broken? Human health is deeply linked to the health of the environment and other animals’. For this reason, when we lose the balance, we are exposed to global health threats. The main issues are: antimicrobial resistance, producing 700 thousands deaths worldwide every year; other diseases related to animal over-exploitation and to the destruction of natural habitats (from Sars/Mers and other viruses).
Side effects related to the loss of balance needed to allow humankind and other species to survive on a planet with limited resources. This issue is about: deforestation linked to feed production (deforestation is actually the second cause of global warming); the loss of biodiversity, also linked to the massive use of pesticides in agriculture (even for livestock feeding); destruction of sea natural habitats for pollution (dead zones) and for overfishing.
An ethical matter. This issue is about the cultural, religious, legal and scientific aspects that actually justify the animal over-exploitation. A sort of research on the cultural roots that cause the loss of the balance, that is compromising our ability to survive on this planet.
The documentary and the enquiries
One Earth is an independent journalistic project. The main output will be:
- News stories and reports, to be published on international media and focused on some specific aspects of this scenario, such as: iper-intensification of animal production in high tech factory farms; environmental matters, such as deforestation and loss of biodiversity; human health consequences of this over-exploitation.
- A documentary, explaining the full scenario of the animal over-exploitation, inquiring the causes and explaining the consequences on environment, health and ethics.
At the actual stage, we are working on:
- Fundraising, through pitches, funds application and a crowdfunding campaign open until june 2020.
- Production, began in october 2019. We are actually producing and publishing stories and working to the pre-production activities for the documentary (eg. we are wrtiting the screenplay and have already collected over 10 hours of filming in China, Netherlands, Italy, and got some other footage from China, Netherlands, United States, Mexico, Spain).
Support this project through the crowdfunding campaign at this link. Every support is precious to tell this story!
The budget will be used to produce the documentary and the video inquires (video production, editing, post production, distribution).
One Earth is an independent project, based on the team of professionals that worked on the production of Deforestation Made in Italy, a documentary released in 2019, linking tropical deforestation and the import of forest risk commodities in Europe and Italy, for the production of the well-known “excellences” of Made in Italy.
The author is Francesco De Augustinis, a freelance journalist. He was author of video enquiries about sustainability for many Italian and international media, and in 2019 for the documentary Deforestation Made in Italy.